The Most Common Electrical Problems and How to Fix Them

There are a number of electrical problems that you should be aware of in your home. Some of them are relatively simple to fix while others might indicate bigger issues that need to be addressed by a professional.

For example, you should be aware of surges and transients. These are lighting-fast disruptions in the flow of electricity that can damage any devices that are connected to your home at the time.

1. Circuit Breaker Trips

When a circuit breaker trips, all the outlets and light switches on that particular circuit will lose power. It’s a safety measure to protect your home from fires and damage.

When you have a tripped breaker, it’s important to find the breaker that tripped and reset it before turning on your appliances. It’s also best to check if the breaker tripped because of an overloaded circuit or short circuit, as these are the most common causes for a tripped breaker.

To figure out which breaker is the culprit, take a look at the breaker panel (service panel) in your home. Normally, breakers are lined up in neat rows. However, when a breaker trips, it will move to the middle or off position and won’t be lined up with the rest of the breakers in its row.

Once you know which breaker is the problem, unplug and plug in all the devices that went out when the breaker tripped. Make sure to check each plugged-in appliance for scorched terminals, hot plugs, or overheating wires.

Next, try to redistribute the load more evenly between circuits. This will reduce the likelihood of a tripped breaker and can save you money on your utility bills in the long run.

Another major cause of a tripped breaker is a short circuit, which occurs when an active wire touches a neutral or “no-current” wire in your outlet. This creates a large current flow that can overheat your circuit and cause the breaker to trip.

This is a dangerous issue that may require the help of an electrician to sort out, so don’t attempt to fix it yourself unless you have the right knowledge. A tripped breaker that results from a short circuit can be a fire hazard and even a serious risk of electrocution.

2. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights are one of the most common electrical problems that homeowners face. They can be annoying and a nuisance, but they also pose a risk to the safety of your family and home if you don’t fix them quickly.

The first step in solving your flickering light problem is to assess the scope of the issue. If the lights are flickering in only one fixture or switch, it may be a faulty light bulb or socket. If the problem is spread across multiple fixtures and switches, it may be a circuit problem.

Overloaded circuits or voltage fluctuations are common causes of flickering lights. You can check your home’s voltage with a voltmeter. It should register between 115 and 125 volts, but slight variations are normal.

Another potential cause of flickering lights is a power outage. If the issue is caused by a power outage, you should contact the power company as soon as possible. They should be able to get the problem resolved as soon as they can.

If your lights are flickering while large appliances like air conditioners or dishwashers are running, you may have an overloaded circuit. This can occur if the appliances are drawing too much current when they’re turning on, or if there is sensory overload on the same circuit.

Loose wiring can also be the root of your flickering light problem, especially if it is old or improperly installed. This is a fire hazard that can lead to arcing and overheating. Call an electrician to repair the wires as soon as possible.

3. Faulty Outlets

A broken outlet is one of the most common electrical problems homeowners face, but fortunately it doesn’t always require a visit from an electrician. Most of the time, you can simply fix a broken outlet yourself with a little bit of troubleshooting and testing.

It’s also a good idea to regularly check for outlets that are showing any of the following signs, which can help you determine when it’s time to replace them. Discolored plastic, melted wires, or a lack of grounding are all potential warning signs that an outlet is short-circuiting or malfunctioning in some way.

Wires that are too small can also cause outlets to get hot and burn. This can be due to a number of factors, including incorrect wiring or overloading the circuit with too many power-hogging appliances.

The first step is to test the receptacle using a voltage tester. You can buy a voltage tester at most hardware stores for a few dollars.

Next, look at the screws holding the terminals in place. Loose screws can prevent the receptacle from properly connecting to the wiring, which can lead to a broken outlet.

In addition, if the receptacle has stab-in connections instead of screws, these can be loose as well. To check this, you’ll need to unscrew the plastic faceplate from the outlet and then remove the screws holding it in place.

If the receptacle doesn’t come out easily, then you’ll need to contact an electrician for assistance. They can quickly fix or replace faulty outlets and keep you and your home safe from fire hazards. They can also upgrade your existing receptacles for better functionality and safety.

4. Electrical Shorts

Electrical shorts occur when a hot wire comes into contact with the neutral wire somewhere it shouldn’t be. The electrical current then flows through a different path, which can cause damage to the device or even a fire.

Fortunately, the problem is fairly straightforward and easy to fix. You simply need to identify the circuit that has the short and then isolate it by turning off the breaker associated with that circuit. This may seem like an obvious step but it’s a great way to avoid wasting fuses or getting shocked.

Another way to locate a short is to use your multimeter to measure resistance. Make sure to keep the black probe in contact with the circuit’s ground and then touch the red to the component you’re inspecting.

If the meter displays a high value, then the component is faulty. If it shows a low number, the issue is likely a short circuit.

A common cause of electrical shorts is old or damaged circuit wire insulation. Non-insulated staples, nails and screws can prompt the neutral and hot wires to come into contact with each other, causing a short.

When water comes into contact with an electrical wire, it can also create a short. This can be a serious problem and should not be ignored.

Some other causes of electrical shorts include pests such as rats and squirrels chewing on wires, which can lead to an overload of current. Keeping the wiring in your home clean and free of debris can prevent these issues. Additionally, regular inspections of your home’s breaker box, outlets and appliances will help you spot potential issues before they get out of hand.

5. Damaged Wires

If a wire is damaged, it can cause an electrical current to flow through the broken section. This can result in serious damage to the electrical system that can make your home unsafe.

Damaged wires are caused by a number of things, including age, heat, bending, and rodents. The best way to avoid this problem is to ensure that wires are properly positioned and secured during the construction process.

When a wire is damaged, you need to fix it before it can cause further issues. This means splicing the wires back together mechanically and electrically and covering them with insulation. If the wires are too short to be spliced, you can use connectors or solder them.

Another sign of faulty wiring is a buzzing sound when you plug something in. If this sounds like it might be the problem, you can test it using a multimeter.

If you’re able to locate the wire, then you can start to work on it. Before you begin, make sure to remove any other cords and electronics from the area so that you can get a clear view of the wire.

You can also check the wires for continuity by running a test with your multimeter. This is a simple way to check for problems with your wiring without having to call an electrician.

Damaged wires are a common issue, so it’s important to know how to identify and fix them before they become an issue in your home. The most common signs of a damaged wire are a buzzing noise when you plug something in, discoloration or scorch marks on your outlets, and loose screw terminal connections at wall switches and light fixtures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *